Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Local, Seasonal and Fresh – The Best Way To Eat!


I recently got home from a family trip to Lake Tahoe and I can safely say that there is nothing that says summer quite like sunshine, long days and freshly made meals, like the one below, which was perfect since I got a lot of squash in my CSA box. CSA (community supported agriculture) members or subscribers pay to receive fresh vegetables and fruit from local farms, and often times it can be delivered to your doorstep.

I am a big proponent of CSA programs because I aim to eat organic, healthful produce, I love to support local businesses and everything tastes so much better in season! Here is a link to CSA programs across the nation if you are interested in one near you. 

I especially like that they deliver items that challenge me to step out of my comfort zone and get creative with my cooking.  You can only grill zucchini for so long until you need something a little different, which is why I was so happy to find this recipe, by our very own Chelsea Dinsmore at Food-Life Balance.  

Zucchini Pasta


Average time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients
2 packages of cherry tomatoes (16 oz total) - set aside a few raw for garnish
3 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 zucchini (or any summer squash), thinly sliced lengthwise (I use my vegetable peeler) and cut into 1/4 in strips
1/3 cup torn fresh basil, plus leaves for garnish
Chili flakes (optional)

Directions
1. In a bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, oil and salt and pepper. In a pan, sautee in until tomatoes cook down and garlic is fragrant - 10 or so minutes.
2. Toss with raw zucchini and garnish with basil, chili flakes and left over cherry tomatoes. 

Enjoy the final days of summer!

-- Jill

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight...absolutely delicious...thanks for the recipe Jill!

    Emily Meader
    TDM Naperville

    ReplyDelete